The maple leaf is the characteristic leaf of the maple tree, and is the most widely recognized national symbol of Canada.
Acer is a genus of trees or shrubs commonly known as Maple.
Maples are variously classified in a family of their own, the Aceraceae, or together with the Hippocastanaceae included in the family Sapindaceae. Modern classifications, including the Angiosperm Phylogeny Group system, favour inclusion in Sapindaceae. The type species of the genus is Acer pseudoplatanus (Sycamore Maple).
There are approximately 125 species, most of which are native to Asia, with a number also appearing in Europe, northern Africa, and North America.
- The U.S. city of Carthage, Missouri, is nicknamed "America's Maple Leaf City."
- The Italian city of Campobasso was known as the "Maple Leaf City", since during the Second World War the Canadian troops invaded the city and freed it from the Germans. Moreover the city has a huge variety of maples which can be found even in the streets.
- The mascot of Goshen College in Goshen, Indiana, is the Maple Leaf and the nickname for Goshen College sports teams is the Maple Leafs.
- In Estonia, inexperienced drivers are obliged to have a green maple leaf sign visible on the vehicle, serving a similar function that a P-plate does in some other countries.
- The maple leaf is also the coat of arms of Sammatti, Finland.
- The MMORPG Maplestory uses a maple leaf as part of their logo.
- The city of Hornell, New York is known as "The Maple City".