Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Cereal Song

The Bicycle Thief was a band fronted by Bob Forrest. After a break from the music industry after the demise of his previous band, Thelonious Monster, Forrest started jamming with Josh Klinghoffer (a friend of Forrest's girlfriend's brother) and in 1997 they played a covers gig and Forrest started recording demos on a 4-track. After Goldenvoice's Paul Tollett offered him a deal he and Klinghoffer recorded The Bicycle Thief's debut, joined on the album by Kevin Fitzgerald (Geraldine Fibbers). This was Klinghoffer's first recording experience and he contributed guitars, keyboards, and on some track the drums.

Their only studio album is You Come and Go Like a Pop Song, released in 1999, and re-released with modified tracklisting and artwork in 2001. For the 10th anniversary of the band in 2009, a live album, The Way It Used To Be (LIVE), was released on Bob Forrest's website.

On October 3rd, 2013 (Josh's Birthday) the band reunited and played live at the Hard Rock Hotel in Palm Springs.

Bob Forrest
Robert O'Neil "Bob" Forrest (born February 15, 1961) is the lead vocalist and lyricist for Los Angeles bands Thelonious Monster and The Bicycle Thief. In September 2006 he released his first solo album, Modern Folk And Blues Wednesday. He is also a drug counselor, appearing alongside Dr. Drew Pinsky on Celebrity Rehab and Sober House. He contributed the song "Moonshiner" to the I'm Not There soundtrack.

Forrest is the former Chemical Dependency Program Director at Las Encinas Hospital. In 2010, he and co-founder Shelly Sprague launched Hollywood Recovery Services.

Forrest is also well known as a close friend of Red Hot Chili Peppers bandmates Flea and Anthony Kiedis who was once a drug buddy to Forrest and who later got clean with Forrest's help. The Red Hot Chili Peppers and Forrest's bands also have a longtime connection. In 1988, John Frusciante was originally intended to join Thelonious Monster however he joined the Red Hot Chili Peppers instead while current Chili Peppers guitarist, Josh Klinghoffer played with both Thelonious Monster and The Bicycle Thief. Forrest has performed many times with the Red Hot Chili Peppers dating back to the mid-1980s and most recently in 2009 at an awards event honoring Kiedis for his commitment to helping other addicts with the addiction and recovery process.

In 2008, he began releasing a series of live digital EPs exclusively at his official website. In 2010, Forrest began hosting a weekly radio show, All Up In The Intwerweb, airing Wednesday nights on Indie1031.com.

Forrest is the subject of Bob and the Monster, a documentary about his music career and battles with drug addiction. The documentary was released in March 2011 and continues to play on the film festival circuit. The DVD was released in September 2013.
Cereal Song Lyrics

Oh heroin, oh heroin
And cocaine and cocaine
Well, I loved them both

But they took my life, they took my friends
They wont give em back, well, I want em back
Oh, give em back now

And what has it gotten me?
Just some teeth I cant chew
My favorite cereal with

Oh , bein' cool and lookin' good
Keith Richards and Lenny Bruce
And all of them
Well, I give up

Sometimes Ill get sad
Or Ill get mad
About where I should be
And where I am and I wanna go back

But where has it gotten me?
35 years old now
I wash dishes in a restaurant

Well, my friend Robert
Well, he cant stop
And his teeth are fallin' out
And hes livin' at his moms
And its no fun, no

I guess, Im lucky I'm alive
Yeah, Im lucky, Im alive
 Cause I should be dead
Well, I have been dead
But Im not now, no

And what has it got me?
Just some teeth I cant chew
My favorite cereal with

Yeah, where has it gotten me?
Im 35 years old now
Work in a fucking restaurant

Oh heroin, oh heroin
And cocaine and cocaine
Well, I loved them both

No comments: