Red is the color at the end of the visible spectrum next to orange and at the opposite end from violet. The wavelength of red light is approximately 620–740 nm on the electromagnetic spectrum.
Red is the color of blood, and because of this it has historically been associated with sacrifice, danger and courage. Modern surveys in the United States and Europe show red is the color most commonly associated with heat, activity, passion, sexuality, anger, love, and joy. In
and many other Asian cultures, it is the color of happiness. China
Since the French Revolution, the red flag has been the symbolic color of revolution and in the later 19th and 20th century, it was the symbolic color of socialism and communism.
Etymology and definitions
The word red is derived from the Old English rēad. The word can be further traced to the Proto-Germanic rauthaz and the Proto-Indo European root rewdʰ-. In Sanskrit, the word rudhira means red or blood. In the Akkadian language of Ancient Mesopotamia and in the modern Inuit language of Inuit, the word for red is the same word as "like blood".
The words for 'colored' in Latin (coloratus) and Spanish (
) both also mean 'red.' In Portuguese the word for red is vermelho,
which comes from Latin "vermiculus", meaning "little worm". colorado
In the Russian language, the word for red, Кра́сный (krasniy), comes from the same old Slavic root as the words for "beautiful"—красивый (krasiviy) and "excellent"—прекрасный (prekrasniy). Thus
Red Square in , named long before the Russian Revolution, meant simply " Moscow Beautiful Square".
In heraldry, the word gules is used for red.
So the color red is the color of energy, passion and action and it is a warm and positive color associated with our most physical needs and our will to survive. It exudes a strong and powerful masculine energy.
Red is energizing. It excites the emotions and motivates us to take action.
It signifies a pioneering spirit and leadership qualities, promoting ambition and determination.
It is also strong-willed and can give confidence to those who are shy or lacking in will power.
Being the color of physical movement, the color red awakens our physical life force.
It is the color of sexuality and can stimulate deeper and more intimate passions in us, such as love and sex on the positive side or revenge and anger on the negative.
It is often used to express love, as in Valentine’s Day, however it relates more to sexuality and lust, rather than love – love is expressed with pink.
At its most positive it can create life with its sexual energy, or use its negative expression of anger and aggression to fuel war and destruction.
The color red can stimulate the appetite, often being used in restaurants for this purpose. It also increases craving for food and other stimuli.
Being surrounded by too much of the color red can cause us to become irritated, agitated and ultimately angry. Too little and we become cautious, manipulative and fearful.
In Eastern cultures such as
red is the color for good luck.
Although times are changing and many Chinese brides now wear white, it is
traditionally the color for weddings. In Indian culture it symbolizes purity
and is often used in their wedding gowns. China
more about red at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red
If your favorite color is red, it will reflect in your personality!
- Having red as your favorite color identifies you as extroverted and optimistic, courageous and confident.
- You are action oriented and physically active - sex is a necessity to you - you have strong survival instincts.
- With a favorite color red, you like to be the center of attention - in fact all reds crave attention - other people are drawn to the vitality and sense of excitement you emit.
- As a personality color red, you are stimulating to be with and you radiate a great deal of energy.
- You are ambitious and competitive and like to be the winner - you are achievement orientated and second place is not good enough for you. With you it is all or nothing.
- You usually gain the respect of others quite easily with your practical and grounded attitude and ability to set boundaries.
- Lovers of red are the explorers and pioneers of the world, the entrepreneurs and builders who like to be first in discovering new physical realms.
- If you favor the personality color red you have a passion and enthusiasm for life and are not afraid to pursue your dreams and goals.
- You are impulsive - you should count to 10 before reacting to situations as it is in these situations that your anger and aggression often appears.
- You are always in a hurry, wanting to do everything right now. Patience is not one of your strong points.
- You do not procrastinate - you never put off until tomorrow what you can do today.
- You are a hard worker when you have a personality color red, and you specifically enjoy physical labor and working with your hands.
- Red people can be aggressive and easy to anger, often exhibiting a violent temper - this is negative passion and energy. You flare up instantaneously but calm down quite quickly once you get it out of your system and then forget it ever happened - you do not hold a grudge.
- Lovers of red are probably not particularly spiritual or religious - however if you do participate in religious activities it is the physical customs and rituals that you are drawn to, the singing, Communion and other rituals, organizing the church fete and other fundraising activities, the physical part of being there. Red people like to take care of the nuts and bolts, the nitty-gritty, the practical aspects and physical preparation of organizing an event.
- You have a strong need for power and control which is connected to your basic survival instincts.
- You can be somewhat of a know-it-all, not wanting to appear unintelligent or ignorant.
- You are a good worker, although not necessarily a good boss - your aggressive nature doesn't serve you well in management positions. Because you are action orientated you are good at meeting deadlines and getting the job done at the right time.
- You can be quite determined when you want something, but tend to have a short attention span, moving on to the next best thing when you quickly get bored with the previous one - you want it all and you want it now!
- With a personality color red you may have an over active ego and appear over confident with a super inflated sense of your own worth.