Thursday, December 27, 2012

TIRE and RUBBER PARTY part I

Newfoundland and Labrador is the easternmost province of Canada. Situated in the country's Atlantic region, it incorporates the island of Newfoundland and mainland Labrador to the northwest. Newfoundland and Labrador has a folk musical heritage based on the Irish, English and Scottish traditions that were brought to its shores centuries ago. Though similar in its Celtic influence to neighbouring Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island, Newfoundland and Labrador are more Irish than Scottish, and have more elements imported from English and French music than those provinces. Much of the region's music focuses on the strong seafaring tradition in the area, and includes sea shanties and other sailing songs.


With Me Rubber Boots On (Traditional Newfoundland)
This is one of the many folksongs in Newfoundland. Probably the best known version is by Dick Nolan, but it has been recorded by several Newfoundland artists including Pat and Joe Byrne and Shanneyganock.
The song appears to be a variation on an old English or Irish song called The Bold English Navvy. The Dubliners sing it as Navvy Boots.

RUBBER BOOTS SONG LYRICS

I'm a hardy old sailor from Newfoundland's shore,
 I've fished for me livin' on the wild Labrador;
 Now the fishin's all over, me work is all done,
 And I'm goin' out tonight with me rubber boots on.

So I ate up me supper and I shaved off me beard,
 For courtin' indeed I was highly prepared;
 With the day's work all over and the night comin' on,
 I remember that night with me rubber boots on.

I knocked on her door and me knock it was low,
 And out of her slumber my knock she did know;
 She came to the door and said "Is that you, Tom?"
 "It is, love," said I, "with me rubber boots on."

She opened the door and invited me in,
 And into her bedroom she invited me in;
 She jumped on the bed with the blankets rolled on,
 And I hopped in beside her with me rubber boots on.

Well, daylight next mornin' with the sun in the sky,
 I turned to me true love to say goodbye;
 She said "Don't you leave me, don't you know you done wrong,
 For you slept here all night with your rubber boots on."

I turned to me true love with a wink and a smile,
 I said, "Nothing could happen in such a short while;
 Whatever I did, love, I did it for fun."
 And I hopped out of bed with me rubber boots on.

It being nine months later I was summoned to court,
 Ten shillings a week I was fined for me sport;
 Ten shillings a week from a fisherman's son,
 I regretted that night with me rubber boots on.

Ah, but now I'm back fishin', I'm happy for sure,
 I'll make them ten shillings on the wild Labrador;
 And when he gets bigger I'll take 'long me son,
 And he'll catch those codfish with his rubber boots on.

No comments: