Thursday, July 10, 2014

Paint It Black

"Paint It Black" is a song released by The Rolling Stones on 13 May 1966 as the first single from the US version of their fourth album Aftermath. Although originally titled without a comma, the release version was styled "Paint It, Black". Keith Richards has stated that the comma was added by the record label, Decca.
The song was written by Mick Jagger and Keith Richards. Jagger wrote the lyrics and Richards wrote the music.

Bill Wyman states in his books that the song was a group effort although it was credited to Jagger/Richards.
The single reached number one in both the United States and the UK Singles Chart in 1966. In 2004 it was ranked number 176 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time. In the US and UK, it was the first number one single to feature a sitar.
Paint it black lyrics
I see a red door and I want it painted black
 No colors anymore, I want them to turn black
 I see the girls walk by dressed in their summer clothes
 I have to turn my head until my darkness goes

I see a line of cars and they're all painted black
 With flowers and my love, both never to come back
 I see people turn their heads and quickly look away
 Like a newborn baby it just happens ev'ryday

I look inside myself and see my heart is black
 I see my red door and I must have it painted black
 Maybe then I'll fade away and not have to face the facts
 It's not easy facing up when your whole world is black

No more will my green sea go turn a deeper blue
 I could not foresee this thing happening to you
 If I look hard enough into the setting sun
 My love will laugh with me before the morning comes

I see a red door and I want it painted black
 No colors anymore I want them to turn black
 I see the girls walk by dressed in their summer clothes
 I have to turn my head until my darkness goes

I want to see your face painted black, black as night, black as coal
 Don't want to see the sun, flying high in the sky
 I want to see it painted, painted, painted, painted black, yeah

No comments: