Friday, July 18, 2014

Outer space


Outer space, or simply space, is the void that exists between celestial bodies, including the Earth. It is not completely empty, but consists of a hard vacuum containing a low density of particles: predominantly a plasma of hydrogen and helium, as well as electromagnetic radiation, magnetic fields, neutrinos, dust and cosmic rays. The baseline temperature, as set by the background radiation from the Big Bang, is 2.7 kelvin (K). Plasma with a density of less than one hydrogen atom per cubic meter and a temperature of millions of kelvin in the space between galaxies accounts for most of the baryonic (ordinary) matter in outer space; local concentrations have condensed into stars and galaxies. In most galaxies, observations provide evidence that 90% of the mass is in an unknown form, called dark matter, which interacts with other matter through gravitational but not electromagnetic forces. Data indicates that the majority of the mass-energy in the observable Universe is a poorly understood vacuum energy of space which astronomers label dark energy. Intergalactic space takes up most of the volume of the Universe, but even galaxies and star systems consist almost entirely of empty space.

Across the Universe
"Across the Universe" is a song recorded by the Beatles. It was written by John Lennon, and credited to Lennon–McCartney. The song first appeared on the various artists' charity compilation album No One's Gonna Change Our World in December 1969, and later, in different form, on Let It Be, the group's final released album.

One night in 1967, the phrase "words are flowing out like endless rain into a paper cup" came to Lennon after hearing his then-wife Cynthia, according to Lennon, "going on and on about something." Later, after "she'd gone to sleep—and I kept hearing these words over and over, flowing like an endless stream," Lennon went downstairs and turned it into a song. He began to write the rest of the lyrics and when he was done, he went to bed and forgot about them.

In his 1970 interview with Rolling Stone, Lennon referred to the song as perhaps the best, most poetic lyric he ever wrote: "It's one of the best lyrics I've written. In fact, it could be the best. It's good poetry, or whatever you call it, without chewin' it. See, the ones I like are the ones that stand as words, without melody. They don't have to have any melody, like a poem, you can read them."
The flavour of the song was heavily influenced by Lennon's and the Beatles' interest in Transcendental Meditation in late 1967 – early 1968, when the song was composed. Based on this he added the mantra "Jai guru deva om" (Sanskrit: जय गुरुदेव ) to the piece, which became the link to the chorus. The Sanskrit phrase is a sentence fragment whose words could have many meanings. Literally it approximates as "glory to the shining remover of darkness," and can be paraphrased as "Victory to God divine", "Hail to the divine guru", or the phrase commonly invoked by the late Maharishi Mahesh Yogi in referring to his spiritual teacher "All Glory to Guru Dev."

"Across The Universe"
 Words are flowing out like endless rain into a paper cup
 They slither wildly as they slip away across the universe
 Pools of sorrow, waves of joy are drifting through my opened mind
 Possessing and caressing me
 Jai Guru Deva OM

Nothing's gonna change my world
 Nothing's gonna change my world
 Nothing's gonna change my world
 Nothing's gonna change my world

Images of broken light which dance before me like a million eyes
 They call me on and on across the universe
 Thoughts meander like a restless wind inside a letter box
 They tumble blindly as they make their way across the universe
 Jai Guru Deva OM

Nothing's gonna change my world
 Nothing's gonna change my world
 Nothing's gonna change my world
 Nothing's gonna change my world

Sounds of laughter, shades of life are ringing through my open ears
 Inciting and inviting me
 Limitless undying love which shines around me like a million suns
 It calls me on and on, across the universe
 Jai Guru Deva OM

Nothing's gonna change my world
 Nothing's gonna change my world
 Nothing's gonna change my world
 Nothing's gonna change my world

Jai Guru Deva
 Jai Guru Deva
 Jai Guru Deva
 Jai Guru Deva
 Jai Guru Deva 

No comments: